As applied in the classroom
St. Martin Academy teaches life skills along with class curriculum such as:
- habit of reflection, prayer, expressions of gratitude (journaling)
- good manners, politeness (using words: “please”, “thank you”, “excuse me”)
- helping out those who need assistance
- to include, (and never exclude), others in activities, games, etc.
- acceptance of another’s opinion, response, etc. (no laughing at mistakes)
- focus on assigned task / awareness (meta-cognition)
- waiting to be called on without interrupting and/or shouting out
- willingness to risk and to be actively involved in learning activities
- listening to the one speaking, (teacher or peer), without hand up, interrupting
- response to direction, one & two bells (“stop-power”)
- coming to class each day with required supplies (paper, pencils, etc.)
- keeping class materials together, organized and in correct place
- remembering to take home items needed at end of day
- remembering assignments, supplies needed, and other tasks
- taking care of textbooks (covered), library books, reference and other materials
- sharing responsibility for upkeep of classroom, desk, shelves, etc.
- carefulness / neatness / organization in preparation of papers, writing, headings, etc.
- resourcefulness in regard to finding necessary materials, beginning tasks, etc.
- ability to evaluate own work, follow rubrics, find and correct mistakes
- taking care of all school areas /property (restrooms, play and lunch areas, walkways)
- taking care of personal property (jackets, lunch containers, back packs, etc.)